Wednesday 22 October 2008

Dancing Your Animal

My Company as of next week has been booted out from the night club I have been working in till now. I realised that I only have one more week to work there and use the facilities to experiment with shamanic practices such as dancing. As I work there during the day I have the place for mostly myself.

I have been toying with the idea of dancing an animal spirit since I have read a book part of which was on this topic. Now that my time is running out I know it is now or never. So I picked a time after my shift cleaning up the place and tired as I was I grabbed my maracas and went up to one of the dance floors painfully conscious of the chance of someone walking in on me. These two factors, being tired and wanting to avoid embarrassment made my dance rather short. Only about the third of the time usually recommended for such activity but turned out to be successful nevertheless.

The dance is for a great part builds up from segments that are aimed at communicating with and honouring the spirits sacrificing ones very energy to their honour through dance. Only well into the dance one even begins to became perceptive to the spirit that one will dance. By then the dancer will have established enough focus, through mental concentration, the rhythm of the shakers and rhythmic movements, induced into a mild state of trance.

I was rushing through the dance and was somewhat surprised that I remembered the sequence advised. I had plenty of space to move which I enjoyed especially in the beginnings when my dance was an honouring, a sacrifice of my energy. I took part in such dance about a year and a half ago in Glasgow, blindfolded then. It was an amazing experience then and has not let me down this time either. Through this first part I had a very strong intuition about an animal. It was a feeling or rather a knowledge or a certainty but I discarded it quickly only slightly conscious of its meaning. I didn’t trust myself.

I rapidly progressed into the second half where I would be dancing the spirit that either is something that can be referred to us my birth animal or a past or present guardian spirit.

An image of an environment flashed in front of my eyes. It was the perception of the animal I had the intuition about just a couple of minutes earlier. I danced on surprised about this. I didn’t imagine this would be it. I would be dancing the animal that I haven’t even thought of before. I let it go and hoped for getting something that I am more used to, that I think is much cooler. It came back and as I saw him walking through the woods I also saw the trees as I was walking through them while through my half open eyes I could see the outlines of the dance floor. My dancing slowed down somewhat. It was interesting. I was a bit taken aback for I knew that I rushed my dance, I was too conscious of my environment and I was probably too tired to focus properly. On my first attempt to dance an animal I felt I danced one. Reading the book later I realised I done it more less by the book and I achieved my goal. I read up on the animal later and had intuitions and through them revelations about myself I feel I achieved a deeper understanding of my motives. I was exhausted and I was energized all at once.

No comments: